Monday, April 14, 2014

Tax Relief

Tomorrow is 'tax day'.  The day by which our taxes, here in the United States, must be filed for the previous year.  Did I mean to forget that they were not yet done?  No.  Did I intend to wait until the very last day to do them?  Not really.  But here I am, surrounded by a pile of tax forms and receipts, slowly clicking my way through the IRS website.

But of course, I'm a multi-tasker, so I can't just do taxes.  When I watch TV, I crochet.  When I fold laundry, I listen to an audio sermon or book.  When I talk on the phone, I check email.  There aren't too many times during the day that I'm not doing at least two things at once.  So, only minutes after I started working on taxes, I realized I needed to be doing something else, too.

So, I put in a movie.  Pride and Prejudice, actually. Mind you, we're talking about the Colin Firth / Jennifer Ehle version done by A&E.  I consider all other versions 'knockoffs'.  It's one of my favorites. My family actually considers me ever-so-slightly obsessed with Pride & Prejudice, actually....I think.  I watch it, the entire 6 hours....several times a year.  I used to watch them with my daughters on the VCR.  Those well-worn and beloved video tapes were passed down to Peaches when she moved out, recently, in favor of a less space-consuming DVD.  But the movie is no less wonderful for the modern technology.

 I really am such a huge fan of language like, "I cannot bear that he is somewhere in the world and thinking ill of me."  and "For it is a truth universally accepted that a single man in possession of a good fortune MUST be in want of a wife."  Jane Austen was a literary genius, in my opinion.  She pokes fun of her own society in ways that are at once pointed and humorous, without being snide.   Maybe I'll say more about my dear friend Jane some other time. For now, I'll just thank her for a wonderful afternoon spent together with a cup of tea, and for helping me get my taxes done as painlessly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment