Saturday, April 5, 2014

Date Night

Sometimes life gets hectic, and days or weeks will go by in which I have barely had a chance to wave hello to Darling Husband in passing, much less spend any time together.  I am not ok with this.  I married him because he is my best friend, and we enjoy spending time together.  So, with him in school full time, and working full time, and me running our business and dealing with all the paperwork and appointments involved in buying a house, it seems like it's been a couple weeks since I've actually done something just for fun.  

Sometimes, our fun thing is cooking together.  We like to make a menu, make the shopping list, go grocery shopping together, cook together, and then have a nice quiet dinner, with just the two of us.  It is companionable, therapeutic, and....well, we have to eat, right?

Sometimes, we will go out, like any other couple on a Saturday night.  Dinner and a movie.  Or fast food and minature golf.  Or more rarely, ice cream cones and a walk on the beach.  But with this being exams week, Darling's been wandering around like a brain-fried zombie trying to keep up with projects due at school, tests to study for, and his full time work schedule besides.  'Going out' wasn't really fair to suggest tonight.

So tonight was a stay-at-home date night.  Curled up on the couch watching movies.  Usually, we take turns picking movies.  His favorite genre is 'fast cars and things blowing up'.  My favorite genre is 'natural disaster/end of the world' movies.  Clearly, the standard movie genres just don't cut it in my family.  Tonight, he picked an action/adventure movie.  No fast cars, but lots of things blowing up, and the good guys won.  Then scrolling through the online movie choices, I saw a movie which I recognized by name, but not description, so we watched it.  It turned out to be an older-elementary or junior high fairy tale, but it was still pretty good.  He made me watch an episode of Black Adder with him to regain his masculinity, tho.

And I realized, while I was curled up on the couch with Darling Husband's arm around me, listening to him make plot guesses and comments about my fairy tale, that as simple as it is, as ordinary as it seems, I wouldn't trade the joy it gives me to spend time with him for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment