Friday, April 18, 2014

And THAT'S Kickin' Your Butt

Early this morning, I got up to go to an appointment I made with a trainer at a gym.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm no gym rat.  I'm not even a gym mouse.  For the last few months, I have taken couch potato to an art form.  I'm not proud of that, but at least I'm admitting it.

Last week I had the joy and privilege to take my little grandson to the playground.  He's only one year old, and not even at the age where he can play with the other kids.  He wandered around the playground looking at leaves and studying the older kids playing.  He did struggle to climb all the way up to the top of the playset, and I followed.  We came down together to meet his mommy, Peaches, at the bottom of a slide.  But I realized that day that the older he gets, the harder he will be to keep up with!  And I recently found out I have a second grandbaby on the way.  So this couch potato thing must come to an end.

I was fairly terrified when I walked into the gym this morning.  I am that person who bought the gym membership last summer with all good intentions to improve my life, and did I?  Well, if I had, I wouldn't have needed the appointment with the trainer.  Now, I know a few people who make their living as personal trainers, but for some reason, I still had an image in my mind of 'huge, buff, mean, drill instructor with a whistle'.  So it took me a few tries to get out of bed and get dressed this morning.  Then, when I got to the gym, it took me a good ten minutes to go inside.

I feel ridiculously silly admitting that to you now.  Because the trainer was very nice.  He was not judgemental of the place I'm currently in.  He didn't promise I'd make my goals in 6 weeks 'if I did everything he said'.  He even said that we would work together to come up with a plan that was manageable in my own mind, knowing that if he expected someone at 'Ground Zero' to jump into going to the gym 6 days a week, it was setting me up for failure.

I was really encouraged by the whole process.  I was excited enough by my meeting with him that I stayed to do the 'Day 1' workout he helped me plan!  He said I can expect him to kick my butt.  He said he will expect me to hate him some days.  And I suppose I probably will.

But it was such a joy to do something today that I know is heading me back in the direction I want to go.  I kicked butt today!

No comments:

Post a Comment