Saturday, April 12, 2014

Purrfectly Content

I am a cat lady.  Have I ever told you that?  Darling Husband and I share our home with two adorable feline fluffballs.  Sometimes, they are an annoyance I contemplate doing without.  After all, with a cat comes food, litterbox, and the occasional furrball, which unfortunately, I never see, but always step on. Trust me, in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom, in the dark, finding a furrball with my bare toes does not endear my furry friends to my heart.

Cats can be demanding...annoying every last bit of patience out of you when they're hungry.  Or if you happen to be reading.  Or working on a computer. Or folding clothes.  Or playing the piano.  Or doing any of the other number of things they tend to find irresistibly interesting.  Honestly. It sometimes makes me wonder why anyone would keep a cat at all.

But then there are nights like tonight.  When there is a warm, purring furrball curled up in my lap, gazing up at me with her innocent, sweet green eyes, as if all the world is perfect because I am rubbing just that right spot behind her ear or on her belly.  Her eyes slowly close, the purring gets louder, and a kind of peace just seems to settle over us for a few minutes while I read my book, or enjoy my cup of tea.

And in these quiet, precious moments, I realize why I keep my kitties.  Because they give me unconditional love, they accept me for who I am, they bring both humor and calm to the household, and most of all, because they are an everyday joy to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment