Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Sound of Joy

I realized, again, something very obvious today.  I love music.  My music education started in pre-school, when a pre-school teacher asked my mom if I was being given voice lessons, because I was singing harmony to 'Old MacDonald', at 3.  Before I could even reach the floor with  my toes, sitting on the piano bench, I had been started with piano lessons.

When I get in the car, I turn the key, and before I even adjust the temperature to see to my own comfort, I turn on the radio.  It depends on my mood, but generally, by the time I get to a main road, I am singing at the top of my lungs.

When I am cleaning the house, as I'm getting started, I turn on the cable TV to a music channel and turn it up as loud as I think will not bother my apartment neighbors.  Housework goes faster and easier when you dance and sing through it.

And so it goes.  I have playlists on my phone.  I have CDs in my car.  There are certain parts of the nearby resort town that bring to memory a specific song, just by driving past.  There are certain people in my life who will be forever linked to a certain group, or genre, or song.  Late at night, after a long and stressful day, my personal reward is to play the piano.  My kids grew up falling asleep to the sound of me playing the piano, since this was the only quiet time I could play when they were little.  Sometimes, they even still mention it.

But sometimes people forget the most obvious things, and it took this video, posted by a Facebook friend, to remind me.  The song they play is even CALLED 'Ode to Joy'.  And what a joy it is....the fabulous, energizing, calming, life-affirming, soul-enriching, everyday JOY of music....

Here is the video.  Enjoy.

http://www.thisblewmymind.com/street-musician-tipped-girl-happened-next-blew-whole-city-away/#zlf1IQsMfvpRdtPH.01

2 comments:

  1. I like Latin American - at my Age Diane - I do so NOT Salsa
    But I used to sing - oh - way way back when - some naughty words to
    La Cucaracha - I know the Ode to Joy - The German Original I just love but the translation is beautiful
    "Joy thou lovely spark of God - Daughter of Elysium - We enter - quite drunk with fire - most humbly to your Sacred dwelling" - now you have got me at it - I am singing it "in my head" Gorgeous lovely music - Beautiful Beethoven's Ninth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I love alot of Beethoven's music.

    ReplyDelete