Thursday, March 27, 2014

Beginnings

Today.  March 27.  Not a birthday. Not an anniversary.  A THURSDAY.  An ordinary, everyday, run-of-the-mill day of a week like every other week.  So it seems like a pretty inauspicious day to begin a blog.  Aren't these things generally begun out of a sense of milestone, or to begin a new adventure of some sort?

But here I am, starting the blog my Princess has been telling me I should write for a couple years now.  Princess is my middle child, a dear, precious daughter who is married to a kind and loving man.  Together, they are the parents of Button, my beautiful little grandson, and an as-yet-unnamed expected arrival of a new grandbaby.  Make no mistake.  They HAVE a name picked out.  It's only that they don't know whether the girl's name or the boy's name will apply, right at the moment.  I'll keep you posted.

Anyway, Princess is, as I said, my middle child.  She grew up with a big brother, My Son.  My Son has moved half way across the country for the time being.  It may be permanent, it may not.  And while part of this mother's heart is going to miss him terribly, the bigger part knows that he was always the kid who sought adventure wherever he could find it, and whose feet were never still for long.  So I know this is part of his story, and something he needs to do.  I look forward to hearing about his adventures, and I'll try to share some of them with you.

Princess also grew up with a little sister, Peaches.  Peaches has generally been considered by all to be my mini-me.  And so I guess she is.  She has a warmth and charm and beauty that is all her own, tho.  Peaches and Princess are generally the very best of friends, and it has been a joy watching the three of my children grow up together.

They grew up in a military home, my Darling Husband served for 20 years in the military, and was consequently gone quite often.  But he's retired now, and we are enjoying being civilians in a military community.

That is quite a long background on all of us, and I appreciate that you are still here reading.  As I said Princess suggested I should write a blog a couple years ago, and today, I realized what I should write about.  It is these everyday things that happen that bring so much joy to my life.  Darling and I are just getting over a bout of a stomach virus, and as I was opening windows to let in fresh air, and doing laundry this morning, the thought crossed my mind 'It's such a joy to be feeling better today!...Yes, I guess it's an everyday joy, but it's a joy, nonetheless.'  And there it was.  The title to the long-awaited blog.  The thing I can write about every day, over and over, and never run out of material. Or inspiration. Or excitement.  Everyday joys.  The things that all of us sometimes overlook that bring so much joy and hope to our lives, if only we will take a moment to notice them.

I hope you will join me on this journey to see all the things that show up in my life to be joyful about.  And I hope at least some of them will help you find things in your own life that bring joy to you, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment