Saturday, March 29, 2014

Belonging

My Darling Husband is in culinary school.  I haven't mentioned that before, but food has been a hobby for him for a long time, and when he got out of the military, he decided to use one of his veteran's benefits and go back to school.  Cooking was a natural choice.  I may not be the student, but I've been almost as excited by his choice as he has, because cooking together is something we've always enjoyed.  Added to that is the personal benefit that I get to eat his homework and projects!

Today, there was a special event at the school for his class.  Each class member was permitted to invite a select few people to enjoy a 5-star French meal, cooked and served by the class.  I remember being so interested in going, when he told me when it was, and thinking how nice it was that he could just tell me, and assume I would want to go, without even having to really ask.  I didn't think much of it, at the time.  
So this morning, I went with Darling's best friend and his wife, who is one of MY best friends, to the school for lunch.  Everyone I met...his chef, his classmates, and even some of his classmate's family members...said something like, 'Oh, you're his wife?  I've heard SO much ABOUT you!'  

So the thing that has brought me so much joy today is just the sense of truly being part of him.  Truly belonging to my Darling Husband, and knowing that he thinks about me, loves me, and speaks well of me, even when I'm not there.  Culinary school is 'his' thing, and it would have been fine, even expected, if his classmates had said, 'Oh, how very nice to meet you.' and knew nothing about me.  But they didn't.  Because my husband carries me in his heart and treasures me wherever he goes, and whatever he is doing.  

And that is TRULY something that brings me joy.  

Lunch was amazing, by the way....but more on that another day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment