Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pride and Joy

Today, I got to talk to all three of my kids.  This is a rarity on ANY day, since, as a general rule, I don't usually talk to more than one of them on any given day.  It just worked out that way today, and I'm so glad it did.

One of them was telling me about some goals and dreams that are in the works, and called me, excited to share about the future.  I was so thrilled I was the one that got to share that.

Another one chatted with me online about some sorrows and challenges happening right now.  I helped as much as a parent can in a chat, giving advice, commiserating a bit, sharing the moral outrage for perceived injustices that are part of the situation.  I'm so blessed that I have a relationship with my kids that allows them to know that I am a safe place to vent, and will always be here to listen, and help where I can.

The other one texted to share with me some plans that are in the works.  They've been a long time coming, and very much anticipated, so sharing that bit of good news was very exciting.  

My kids are all adults now.  Grown, out of the nest, gone their own ways.  None of them even live in the same state as Dear Husband and me.  And at first, after talking to the last of my three children, I was overwhelmed with sadness.  I miss them so very much.  I longed for just a few more days of peanut butter and jelly lunches, skinned knees that are so easily healed with a bandage and a kiss, backyard pirates or neighborhood adventures, picking mulberries by the creek.  Those days are just a distant, pleasant memory now, and for a little while I cried, missing them, heart-broken over the fact that my babies are gone.

But then I realized something.  My babies are NOT gone.  My little birds all came back to the nest today, to roost for just a few minutes with momma bird, by all our modern electronic devices.  And they are beautiful, strong, healthy, determined adults.  They are all making their own way in the world.  They are all pursuing something they love.  And they all love their Momma.  They showed me that today, by visiting.

I am so, so, so proud of each of them.  It fills my heart with so much amazing joy to sit back and watch them take off.  So even though there were more than a few tears today, in getting to talk to my kids, there was so, SO much joy.

Thank you for the gift, my beautiful birds.  Fly high.  Fly far.  And know that Momma is still here whenever you need her.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glade I got to talk to you too mamma. I love you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, too, Princess. I hope to talk to you again, soon.

      Delete